I would like to reiterate that I don't have Hive installed on the Hadoop
cluster.
I have some queries on following comment from Cheng Lian-2:
"The Thrift server is used to interact with existing Hive data, and thus
needs Hive Metastore to access Hive catalog. In your case, you need to build
Spark with sbt/sbt -Phive,hadoop-2.4 clean package. But since you’ve already
started Thrift server successfully, this step should already have been done
properly."

1. Even though, I don't have Hive installed, How can I connect my
application (Microsoft Excel etc.) to Spark SQL. Do I must have Hive
installed.
2. Where can I download/get Spark SQL JDBC/ODBC drivers as I could not find
it on databricks site.
3. Could somebody point me to steps to connect Excel with Spark SQL and get
some data SQL. Is this possible at all.
4. Which all applications can be used to connect Spark SQL.

Regards,
Neeraj