Thanks. Didn't know about jdbcrdd...should do nicely for now. The foreign data
source api looks interesting...

Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2014 20:33:03 +0800
From: lian.cs....@gmail.com
To: as...@live.com; user@spark.apache.org
Subject: Re: Getting Spark SQL talking to Sql Server

    Instead of using Spark SQL, you can use JdbcRDD to extract data from
    SQL server. Currently Spark SQL can't run queries against SQL
    server. The foreign data source API planned in Spark 1.2 can make
    this possible.

    On 10/21/14 6:26 PM, Ashic Mahtab

        Is there a simple way to run spark sql queries against Sql
        Server databases? Or are we limited to running sql and doing
        sc.Parallelize()? Being able to query small amounts of lookup
        info directly from spark can save a bunch of annoying etl, and
        I'd expect Spark Sql to have some way of doing this.

        Cheers,

        Ashic.