Here's the answer I got from Akka's user ML.

"""
This looks like a binary incompatibility issue. As far as I know Spark is
using a custom built Akka and Scala for various reasons.

You should ask this on the Spark mailing list, Akka is binary compatible
between major versions (2.3.6 is compatible with 2.3.4) but Spark uses its
own build which I guess does not guarantee binary compatiblity.
"""

*Anyone have used Spray or other Akka dependent libraries? Any binary
compatibility issues?*

Does that mean if I build Spray with Spark's Akka version

      <akka.group>org.spark-project.akka</akka.group>
      <akka.version>2.3.4-spark</akka.version>

it should solve problem. Makes sense? I'll give it a shot when I have time,
now probably I'll just not using Spray client...

Cheers,
Jianshi

--
Jianshi Huang