I interpret this to mean you have to learn Scala in order to work with Spark in
Scala (goes without saying) and also to work with Spark in Java (since you have
to jump through some hoops for basic functionality).
The best path here is to take this as a learning opportunity and sit down and
learn Scala.
Regarding RDD being an internal API, it has two methods that clearly allow you
to override them which the JdbcRDD does and it looks close to trivial - if I
only new Scala. Once I learn Scala, I would say the first thing I plan on doing
is writing my own OracleRDD with my own flavor of Jdbc code. Why would this not
be advisable?