Hi Sean,

I'd just like to take the first "word" of every line, and use it as a
variable for later. Is there a way to do that?

Here's the gist of what I want to do:

  val lines = KafkaUtils.createStream(ssc, "localhost:2181", "test",
Map("test" -> 10)).map(_._2)
  val words = lines.flatMap(_.split(" "))
  val acct = words.filter(word => word.startsWith("SECRETWORD"))
  val pairs = words.map(word => (acct+"_"+word, 1))

Take all lines coming into Kafka, and add the word 'acct' to each word.

As an example, here is a line:

"hello world you are SECRETWORDthebest hello world"

And it should do this:

(SECRETWORDthebest_hello, 2), (SECRETWORDthebest_world, 2),
(SECRETWORDthebest_you, 1), etc...

Harold