looks like a misssing class issue? what makes you think its serialization?

shapeless does indeed have a lot of helper classes that get sucked in and
are not serializable. see here:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/shapeless-dev/05_DXnoVnI4

and for a project that uses shapeless in spark see here:
https://github.com/tresata/spark-columnar