-- jars does indeed work but this causes the "jars" to also get shipped to
the workers -- which I don't want to do for efficiency reasons.

I think you are saying that setting "spark.driver.extraClassPath" in
spark-default.conf  ought to have the same behavior as providing
"--driver.class.apth"  to spark-shell. Correct? If so I will file a bug
report since this is definitely not the case.