Many ML algorithms are sequential because they were not designed to be
parallel. However, ML is not driven by algorithms in practice, but by
data and applications. As datasets getting bigger and bigger, some
algorithms got revised to work in parallel, like SGD and matrix
factorization. MLlib tries to implement those scalable algorithms that
can handle large-scale datasets.

That being said, even with sequential ML algorithms, Spark is helpful.
Because in practice we need to test multiple sets of parameters and
select the best one. Though the algorithm is sequential, the training
part is embarrassingly parallel. We can broadcast the whole dataset,
and then train model 1 on node 1, model 2 on node 2, etc. Cross
validation also falls into this category.

-Xiangrui