This is pretty spot on.. though I would also add that the Spark features
that it touts around speed are all dependent on caching the data into
memory... reading off the disk still takes time..ie pulling the data into
an RDD.  This is the reason that Spark is great for ML... the data is used
over and over again to fit models so its pulled into memory once then
basically analyzed through the algos... other DBs systems are reading and
writing to disk repeatedly and are thus slower, such as mahout (though its
getting ported over to Spark as well to compete with MLlib)...

ᐧ

*JIMMY MCERLAIN*

DATA SCIENTIST (NERD)

*IF WE CAN’T DOUBLE YOUR SALES,*