I'm afraid not. We have been using EC2 instances in cn-north-1 region for a
while. And the latest version of boto has added the region: cn-north-1
Here's the  screenshot:
>>> ec2.regions()
[RegionInfo:us-east-1, RegionInfo:cn-north-1, RegionInfo:ap-northeast-1,
RegionInfo:eu-west-1, RegionInfo:ap-southeast-1, RegionInfo:ap-southeast-2,
RegionInfo:us-west-2, RegionInfo:us-gov-west-1, RegionInfo:us-west-1,
RegionInfo:eu-central-1, RegionInfo:sa-east-1]

I do think the doc is out of dated.

--
haitao.yao