The Kafka broker definitely has messages coming in.  But your #2 point is
valid.  Needless to say I am a newbie to Spark.  I can't figure out where
the 'executor' logs would be.  How would I find them?

All I see printed on my screen is this:

14/11/04 22:21:23 INFO Slf4jLogger: Slf4jLogger started
14/11/04 22:21:23 INFO Remoting: Starting remoting
14/11/04 22:21:24 INFO Remoting: Remoting started; listening on addresses
:[akka.tcp://spark@mymachie:60743]
14/11/04 22:21:24 INFO Remoting: Remoting now listens on addresses:
[akka.tcp://spark@mymachine:60743]
14/11/04 22:21:24 WARN NativeCodeLoader: Unable to load native-hadoop
library for your platform... using builtin-java classes where applicable
14/11/04 22:21:24 INFO JniBasedUnixGroupsMappingWithFallback: Falling back
to shell based
Time: 1415168520000 ms
Time: 1415168520000 ms
Keeps repeating this...