See this thread for examples of sparse matrix x sparse matrix:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/spark-users/CGfEafqiTsA

We thought about providing matrix multiplies on CoordinateMatrix, however,
the matrices have to be very dense for the overhead of having many little
(i, j, value) objects to be worth it. For this reason, we are focused on
doing block matrix multiplication first. The goal is version 1.3.

Best,
Reza