There's some work going on to support PMML -
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-1406 - but it's not yet been
merged into master.

What are you used to doing in other environments? In R I'm used to running
save(), same with matlab. In python either pickling things or dumping to
json seems pretty common. (even the scikit-learn docs recommend pickling -
http://scikit-learn.org/stable/modules/model_persistence.html). These all
seem basically equivalent java serialization to me..

Would some helper functions (in, say, mllib.util.modelpersistence or
something) make sense to add?