Thanks for the pointer Michael.

I've downloaded spark 1.2.0 from
https://people.apache.org/~pwendell/spark-1.2.0-snapshot1/ and clone and
built the spark-avro repo you linked to.

When I run it against the example avro file linked to in the documentation
it works. However, when I try to load my avro file (linked to in my
original question) I receive the following error:

java.lang.RuntimeException: Unsupported type LONG
    at scala.sys.package$.error(package.scala:27)
    at com.databricks.spark.avro.AvroRelation.com
$databricks$spark$avro$AvroRelation$$toSqlType(AvroRelation.scala:116)
    at
com.databricks.spark.avro.AvroRelation$$anonfun$5.apply(AvroRelation.scala:97)
    at
com.databricks.spark.avro.AvroRelation$$anonfun$5.apply(AvroRelation.scala:96)
    at
scala.collection.TraversableLike$$anonfun$map$1.apply(TraversableLike.scala:244)
    at
scala.collection.TraversableLike$$anonfun$map$1.apply(TraversableLike.scala:244)

If this is useful I'm happy to try loading the various different avro files
I have to try to battle-test spark-avro.

Thanks