Having them on the same network will give you better performance. What
problems are you facing? Can you elaborate more about the versions? (Spark
and hadoop), Only problem that could happen is the OS's OOM Killer might be
killing your HDFS processes due to low  memory and such. But you can check
the logs to get more clear picture about whats happening.

Thanks
Best Regards