I'll add that some of our data formats will actual infer this sort of
useful information automatically.  Both parquet and cached inmemory tables
keep statistics on the min/max value for each column.  When you have
predicates over these sorted columns, partitions will be eliminated if they
can't possibly match the predicate given the statistics.

For parquet this is new in Spark 1.2 and it is turned off by defaults (due
to bugs we are working with the parquet library team to fix).  Hopefully
soon it will be on by default.