Hey Tobias,

As you suspect, the reason why it's slow is because the resource manager in
YARN takes a while to grant resources. This is because YARN needs to first
set up the application master container, and then this AM needs to request
more containers for Spark executors. I think this accounts for most of the
overhead. The remaining source probably comes from how our own YARN
integration code polls application (every second) and cluster resource
states (every 5 seconds IIRC). I haven't explored in detail whether there
are optimizations there that can speed this up, but I believe most of the
overhead comes from YARN itself.

In other words, no I don't know of any quick fix on your end that you can
do to speed this up.

-Andrew