As Sean mentioned, you would be computing similar features then.

If you want to find similar users, I suggest running k-means with some
fixed number of clusters. It's not reasonable to try and compute all pairs
of similarities between 1bn items, so k-means with fixed k is more suitable
here.

Best,
Reza