It seems like YARN depends an older version of Jersey, that is 1.9:

  https://github.com/apache/spark/blob/master/yarn/pom.xml

When I've modified my dependencies to have only:

  <dependency>
      <groupId>com.sun.jersey</groupId>
      <artifactId>jersey-core</artifactId>
      <version>1.9.1</version>
    </dependency>

And then modified the code to use the old Jersey API:

    Client c = Client.create();
    WebResource r = c.resource("http://localhost:2222/rest";)
                     .path("annotate")
                     .queryParam("text",
UrlEscapers.urlFragmentEscaper().escape(spotlightSubmission))
                     .queryParam("confidence", "0.3");

    logger.warn("!!! DEBUG !!! target: {}", r.getURI());

    String response = r.accept(MediaType.APPLICATION_JSON_TYPE)
                       //.header("")
                       .get(String.class);

    logger.warn("!!! DEBUG !!! Spotlight response: {}", response);

It seems to work when I use spark-submit to submit the application that
includes this code.

Funny thing is, now my relevant unit test does not run, complaining about
not having enough memory:

Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM warning: INFO:
os::commit_memory(0x00000000c4900000, 25165824, 0) failed; error='Cannot
allocate memory' (errno=12)
#
# There is insufficient memory for the Java Runtime Environment to continue.
# Native memory allocation (mmap) failed to map 25165824 bytes for
committing reserved memory.

--
Emre

--