Hi Pengcheng YIN,
RDD cache / persist calls do not trigger evaluation.
Unpersist call is blocking (it does have an async flavor but am not sure what
are the SLAs on behavior).

val rdd = sc.textFile().map()
rdd.persist() // This does not trigger actual storage
while(true){
    val count = rdd.filter().count // this will trigger storage of RDD, so far
so good
    if(count == 0)
        break

    newRdd = /* some codes that use `rdd` several times, and produce an new RDD
*/
    rdd.unpersist() // This is immediate !!, if newRDD has not been evaluated +
stored yet, it's not good
    rdd = newRdd.persist() // this will do nothing till next iteration of loop
(at count).
}

IMHO, last 3 lines can be replaced with -

    newRdd = /* some codes that use `rdd` several times, and produce an new RDD
*/
ADDED -->   newRdd.persist( ) // mark for storage
ADDED  -->   newRdd.filter( ... ).count // trigger storage
    rdd.unpersist()
    rdd = newRdd

Although, others can correct me if I am mistaken. You can also verify this with
small dataset.

Thanks,

Kapil