You can follow the below the link also. It works on stand alone spark cluster.

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/Hive+on+Spark%3A+Getting+Started

thanks
Somnath
From: Michael Armbrust [mailto:mich...@databricks.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 08, 2015 2:21 AM
To: jamborta
Cc: user
Subject: Re: Spark with Hive cluster dependencies

Have you looked at Spark
SQL<http://spark.apache.org/docs/latest/sql-programming-guide.html#hive-tables>?
 It supports HiveQL, can read from the hive metastore, and does not require
hadoop.

On Wed, Jan 7, 2015 at 8:27 AM, jamborta
<jambo...@gmail.com<mailto:jambo...@gmail.com>> wrote:
Hi all,

We have been building a system where we heavily reply on hive queries
executed through spark to load and manipulate data, running on CDH and yarn.
I have been trying to explore lighter setups where we would not have to
maintain a hadoop cluster, just run the system on spark only.

Is it possible to run spark standalone, and setup hive alongside, without
the hadoop cluster? if not, any suggestion how we can replicate the
convenience of hive tables (and hive sql) without hive?

thanks,

For additional commands, e-mail:
user-h...@spark.apache.org<mailto:user-h...@spark.apache.org>

notify the sender by e-mail and delete the original message. Further, you are
not
to copy, disclose, or distribute this e-mail or its contents to any other
person and
any such actions are unlawful. This e-mail may contain viruses. Infosys has
taken
every reasonable precaution to minimize this risk, but is not liable for any
damage
you may sustain as a result of any virus in this e-mail. You should carry out
your
right to monitor and review the content of all messages sent to or from this
e-mail
Infosys e-mail system.