Thanks Nicos.GC does not contribute much to the execution time of the task. I
will debug it further today.
Regards,Ajay

     On Thursday, January 15, 2015 11:55 PM, Nicos <n...@hotmail.com> wrote:

 Ajay, Unless we are dealing with some synchronization/conditional variable bug
in Spark, try this per tuning guide:Cache Size TuningOne important
configuration parameter for GC is the amount of memory that should be used for
caching RDDs. By default, Spark uses 60% of the configured executor memory
(spark.executor.memory) to cache RDDs. This means that 40% of memory is
available for any objects created during task execution.In case your tasks slow
down and you find that your JVM is garbage-collecting frequently or running out
of memory, lowering this value will help reduce the memory consumption. To
change this to, say, 50%, you can call conf.set("spark.storage.memoryFraction",
"0.5") on your SparkConf. Combined with the use of serialized caching, using a
smaller cache should be sufficient to mitigate most of the garbage collection
problems. In case you are interested in further tuning the Java GC, continue
reading below.
Complete list of tips
here:https://spark.apache.org/docs/latest/tuning.html#serialized-rdd-storage
Cheers,- Nicos