On Fri, Jan 16, 2015 at 9:58 AM, Zork Sail <zorks...@gmail.com> wrote:
> And then train ALSL:
>
>      val model = ALS.trainImplicit(ratings, rank, numIter)
>
> I get RMSE 0.9, which is a big error in case of preferences taking 0 or 1
> value:

This is likely the problem. RMSE is not an appropriate evaluation
metric when you have trained a model on implicit data. The
factorization is not minimizing the same squared error loss that RMSE
evaluates. Use metrics like AUC instead, for example.

Rating value can be 1 if you have no information at all about the
interaction other than that it exists. It should be thought of as a
weight. "10" means it's 10 times more important to predict an
interaction than one with weight "1".