FYI, I just confirmed with the latest Spark 1.3 snapshot that the
spark.yarn.maxAppAttempts setting that SPARK-2165 refers to works
perfectly. Great to finally get rid of this problem. Also caused an issue
when the eventLogs were enabled since the spark-events/appXXX folder
already exists the second time the app gets launched.