The question is about the ways to create a Windows desktop-based and/or
web-based application client that is able to connect and talk to the server
containing Spark application (either local or on-premise cloud
distributions) in the run-time.

Any language/architecture may work. So far, I've seen two things that may be
a help in that, but I'm not so sure if they would be the best alternative
and how they work yet:

Spark Job Server - https://github.com/spark-jobserver/spark-jobserver -
defines a REST API for Spark
Hue -
http://gethue.com/get-started-with-spark-deploy-spark-server-and-compute-pi-from-your-web-browser/
- uses item 1)

Any advice would be appreciated. Simple toy example program (or steps) that
shows, e.g. how to build such client for simply creating Spark Context on a
local machine and say reading text file and returning basic stats would be
ideal answer!