You would not want to turn off storage underneath Spark. Shut down
Spark first, then storage, then shut down the instances. Reverse the
order when restarting.

HDFS will be in safe mode for a short time after being started before
it becomes writeable. I would first check that it's not just that.
Otherwise, find out why the cluster went into safe mode from the logs,
fix it, and then leave safe mode.