How much time it takes to port it?

Spark committers:  Please let us know your thoughts.

Regards,
Venkat

From: Frank Austin Nothaft [mailto:fnoth...@berkeley.edu]
Sent: Thursday, January 22, 2015 9:08 AM
To: Venkat, Ankam
Cc: Nick Allen; user@spark.apache.org
Subject: Re: How to 'Pipe' Binary Data in Apache Spark

Venkat,

No problem!

So, creating a custom InputFormat or using sc.binaryFiles alone is not the
right solution.   We also need the modified version of RDD.pipe to support
binary data?  Is my understanding correct?

Yep! That is correct. The custom InputFormat allows Spark to load binary
formatted data from disk/HDFS/S3/etc..., but then the default RDD.pipe
reads/writes text to a pipe, so you'd need the custom mapPartitions call.

If yes, this can be added as new enhancement Jira request?

The code that I have right now is fairly custom to my application, but if there
was interest, I would be glad to port it for the Spark core.

Regards,

Frank Austin Nothaft
fnoth...@berkeley.edu<mailto:fnoth...@berkeley.edu>
fnoth...@eecs.berkeley.edu<mailto:fnoth...@eecs.berkeley.edu>
202-340-0466

On Jan 22, 2015, at 7:11 AM, Venkat, Ankam
So, creating a custom InputFormat or using sc.binaryFiles alone is not the
right solution.   We also need the modified version of RDD.pipe to support
binary data?  Is my understanding correct?

If yes, this can be added as new enhancement Jira request?

Nick:  What's your take on this?

Regards,
Venkat Ankam