It does not necessarily shuffle, yes. I believe it will not if you are
strictly reducing the number of partitions, and do not force a
shuffle. So I think the answer is 'yes'.

If you have a huge number of small files, you can also consider
wholeTextFiles, which gives you entire files of content in each
element of the RDD. It is not necessarily helpful, but thought I'd
mention it, as it could be of interest depending on what you do.