Hi Andreas,

With regard to the notebook interface,  you can use the Spark Kernel (
https://github.com/ibm-et/spark-kernel) as the backend for an IPython 3.0
notebook. The kernel is designed to be the foundation for interactive
applications connecting to Apache Spark and uses the IPython 5.0 message
protocol - used by IPython 3.0 - to communicate.

See the getting started section here:
https://github.com/ibm-et/spark-kernel/wiki/Getting-Started-with-the-Spark-Kernel

It discusses getting IPython connected to a Spark Kernel. If you have any
more questions, feel free to ask!

Signed,
Chip Senkbeil
IBM Emerging Technologies Software Engineer