(PS the Scala code I posted is a poor way to do it -- it would
materialize the entire cartesian product in memory. You can use
.iterator or .view to fix that.)

Ah, so you want sum of distances between successive points.

val points: List[(Double,Double)] = ...
points.sliding(2).map { case List(p1,p2) => distance(p1,p2) }.sum

If you import org.apache.spark.mllib.rdd.RDDFunctions._ you should
have access to something similar in Spark over an RDD. It gives you a
sliding() function that produces Arrays of sequential elements.

Note that RDDs don't really guarantee anything about ordering though,
so this only makes sense if you've already sorted some upstream RDD by
a timestamp or sequence number.