When you say remote cluster you need to make sure a few things like:

- No firewall/network is blocking any connection (Simply ping from
localmachine to remote ip and vice versa)
- Make sure all ports (unless you specify them manually) are open.

You can also refer this discussion,
http://apache-spark-user-list.1001560.n3.nabble.com/Submitting-Spark-job-on-Unix-cluster-from-dev-environment-Windows-td16989.html

Hope it helps.

Thanks