Are you using the default Java object serialization, or have you tried Kryo
yet? If you haven't tried Kryo please do and let me know how much it
impacts the serialization size. (I know its more efficient, I'm curious to
know how much more efficient, and I'm being lazy - I don't have ~6K 500MB
files on hand.)

You can saveAsObjectFile on maybe a take(1) from an RDD and examine the
serialized output to see if maybe a much larger graph than you expect is
being output.