It is a wrapper whose API is logically the same, but whose method
signature make more sense in Java. You can call the Scala API in Java
without too much trouble, but it gets messy when you have to manually
grapple with ClassTag from Java for example.

There is not an implicit conversion since it is used from Java, which
doesn't have implicits.