Thanks Sean, but I don't think that fitting into memory  is the case,
because:
1- I can see in the UI that 100% of RDD is cached, (moreover the RDD is
quite small, 100 MB, while worker has 1.5 GB)
2- I also tried  MEMORY_AND_DISK, but absolutely no difference !

Probably I have messed up somewhere else!
Do you have any other idea where I should look for the cause?

best,
/Shahab