I can imagine a few reasons. Adding workers might cause fewer tasks to
execute locally (?) So you may be execute more remotely.

Are you increasing parallelism? for trivial jobs, chopping them up
further may cause you to pay more overhead of managing so many small
tasks, for no speed up in execution time.

Can you provide any more specifics though? you haven't said what
you're running, what mode, how many workers, how long it takes, etc.