It may involve access an element of an RDD from a remote machine and
copying it back to the driver. That and the small overhead of job
scheduling could be a millisecond.

You're comparing to just reading an entry from memory, which is of
course faster.

I don't think you should think of an RDD as something you query at
scale in real-time. It's not a NoSQL store.