Check out the FAQ in the link by Deepak Vohra.

The main differences are that the desktop installation includes common
user's packages, as LibreOffice, while the server installation doesn't. But
the server includes "server user's" packages, as apache2.

Also, the Desktop has a GUI (a graphical interface to use with a mouse,
etc). The server doesn't. So, the server has more free memory for your
Spark (it's not used by the GUI) but if you are not quite proficient with a
Linux shell it will be a lot harder to start and configure.

Also, you can practically "convert" a desktop into a server or vice-versa
(installing and uninstalling packages and changing configurations).

If you don't feel completely confident with a pure linux shell, I would
recommend you a Desktop version.

Also, once you have all set up, you can disable the GUI to free some memory
and work from a terminal:

# Open a terminal
Ctrl+Alt+F1

# Shutdown the GUI