SparkConf.scala logs a warning saying SPARK_CLASSPATH is deprecated and we
should use spark.executor.extraClassPath instead. But the online
documentation states that spark.executor.extraClassPath is only meant for
backward compatibility.

https://spark.apache.org/docs/1.2.0/configuration.html#execution-behavior

Which one is right? I have a use case to submit a hbase job from
spark-shell and make it run using YARN. In this case, I need to somehow add
the hbase jars to the classpath of the executor. If I add it to
SPARK_CLASSPATH and export it it works fine. Alternatively, if I set
the spark.executor.extraClassPath in spark-defaults.conf, it works fine.
But the reason I don't like spark-defaults.conf is that I need to hard code
it instead of relying on a script to generate the classpath. I can use a
script in spark-env.sh and set SPARK_CLASSPATH.

Given that compute-classpath uses SPARK_CLASSPATH variable, why is it
marked as deprecated?

--
Kannan