Hi Xi,
  Yes,
  You can do the following:

val sc = new SparkContext("local[2]", "mptest")

// or .. val sc = new SparkContext("spark://master:7070", "mptest")

val fileDataRdd = sc.textFile("/path/to/dir")

val fileLines = fileDataRdd.take(100)

The key here - i.e. the answer to your specific question - is the creation
of the SparkContext : that is one of the things spark-submit is doing for
you