1. I don't think textFile is capable of unpacking a .gz file. You need to
use hadoopFile or newAPIHadoop file for this.

2. Instead of map, do a mapPartitions

3. You need to open the driver UI and see what's really taking time. If
that is running on a remote machine and you are not able to access from
local, then create a ssh tunnel (ssh -L 4040:127.0.0.1:4040
user@remotemachine).

Thanks
Best Regards