There are no-doubt many things that feed into the right way to read a lot of
files into Spark. But why force users to learn all of those factors instead of
putting an optimizer layer into the read inside Spark?

BTW I realize your method is not one task per file, it’s chunked and done in
parallel. Looks good for text and I may use it—but what about sequence files or
json SchemaRDD/DataFrame reading? These will all have the same issue and are
also likely to be in very many small files given the increasing popularity of
Spark Streaming. It also seems like an optimizer would work in a very similar
way for these.

+1 for read optimizer :-)