I don't think this is the problem, but I think you'd also want to set
-Dhadoop.version= to match your deployment version, if you're building
for a particular version, just to be safe-est.

I don't recall seeing that particular error before. It indicates to me
that the SparkContext is null. Is this maybe a knock-on error from the
SparkContext not initializing? I can see it would then cause this to
fail to init.