Hi,

I am running Column Similarity (All Pairs Similarity using DIMSUM) in Spark on
a dataset that looks like (Entity, Attribute, Value) after transforming the
same to a row-oriented dense matrix format (one line per Attribute, one column
per Entity, each cell with normalized value – between 0 and 1).

It runs extremely fast in computing similarities between Entities in most of
the case, but if there is even a single attribute which is frequently occurring
across the entities (say in 30% of entities), job falls apart. Whole job get
stuck and worker nodes start running on 100% CPU without making any progress on
the job stage. If the dataset is very small (in the range of 1000 Entities X
500 attributes (some frequently occurring)) the job finishes but takes too long
(some time it gives GC errors too).

If none of the attribute is frequently occurring (all < 2%), then job runs in a
lightning fast manner (even for 1000000 Entities X 10000 attributes) and
results are very accurate.

I am running Spark 1.2.0-cdh5.3.0 on 11 node cluster each having 4 cores and
16GB of RAM.

My question is - Is this behavior expected for datasets where some Attributes
frequently occur?

Thanks,
Manish Gupta