It appears that the metastore_db problem is related to
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-4758. I had another shell open
that was stuck. This is probably a bug, though?

    import sqlContext.implicits
    case class Foo(x: Int)
    val rdd = sc.parallelize(List(Foo(1)))
    rdd.toDF

results in a frozen shell after this line:

    INFO MetaStoreDirectSql: MySQL check failed, assuming we are not on
mysql: Lexical error at line 1, column 5.  Encountered: "@" (64), after :
"".

which, locks the internally created metastore_db