I couldn’t reproduce this with the following spark-shell snippet:

|scala> import sqlContext.implicits._
scala> Seq((1, 2)).toDF("a", "b")
scala> res0.save("xxx", org.apache.spark.sql.SaveMode.Overwrite)
scala> res0.save("xxx", org.apache.spark.sql.SaveMode.Overwrite)

The _common_metadata file is typically much smaller than _metadata, because it doesn’t contain row group information, and thus can be faster to read than _metadata.

Cheng