Hi,

We are trying to build spark 1.2 from source (tip of the branch-1.2 at the
moment). I tried to build spark using the following command:

mvn -U -Pyarn -Phadoop-2.4 -Dhadoop.version=2.4.0 -Phive
-Phive-thriftserver -DskipTests clean package

I encountered various missing class definition exceptions (e.g: class
javax.servlet.ServletException not found).

I eventually got the build to succeed after adding the following set of
dependencies to the spark-core's pom.xml:

    <dependency>
      <groupId>javax.servlet</groupId>
      <artifactId>*servlet-api*</artifactId>
      <version>3.0</version>
    </dependency>

    <dependency>
      <groupId>org.eclipse.jetty</groupId>
      <artifactId>*jetty-io*</artifactId>
    </dependency>

    <dependency>
      <groupId>org.eclipse.jetty</groupId>
      <artifactId>*jetty-http*</artifactId>
    </dependency>

    <dependency>
      <groupId>org.eclipse.jetty</groupId>
      <artifactId>*jetty-servlet*</artifactId>
    </dependency>

Pretty much all of the missing class definition errors came up while
building HttpServer.scala, and went away after the above dependencies were
included.

My guess is official build for spark 1.2 is working already. My question is
what is wrong with my environment or setup, that requires me to add
dependencies to pom.xml in this manner, to get this build to succeed.

Also, i am not sure if this build would work at runtime for us, i am still
testing this out.

Thanks,
pala