The Spark Sort-Based Shuffle (default from 1.1) keeps the data from
each Map tasks to memory until they they can't fit after which they
are sorted and spilled to disk. You can reduce the Shuffle write to
disk by increasing spark.shuffle.memoryFraction(default 0.2).

By writing the shuffle output to disk the Spark lineage can be
truncated when the RDDs are already materialized as the side-effects
of earlier shuffle.This is the under the hood optimization in Spark
which is only possible because of shuffle output output being written
to disk.

You can set spark.shuffle.spill to false if you don't want to spill to
the disk and assuming you have enough heap memory.