foreachRDD is an action and doesn't return anything. It seems like you
want one final count, but that's not possible with a stream, since
there is conceptually no end to a stream of data. You can get a stream
of counts, which is what you have already. You can sum those counts in
another data structure to get a current total. See the streaming word
count examples.