The standard incantation -- which is a little different from standard
Maven practice -- is:

mvn -DskipTests [your options] clean package
mvn [your options] test

Some tests require the assembly, so you have to do it this way.

I don't know what the test failures were, you didn't post them, but
I'm guessing this is the cause since it failed very early on the
launcher module and not on some module that you changed.

Sean