If you do a join with at least one equality relationship between the two
tables, Spark SQL will automatically hash partition the data and perform
the join.

If you are looking to prepartition the data, that information is not yet
propagated from the in memory cached representation so won't help avoid an
extra shuffle, but Kai (cc-ed) was hoping to add that feature.